Thursday, April 17, 2014

Why do we move so much???



Since I've been married...coming up on 25 years now... we have moved a total of 13 times!  That's a lot of moving!  It's always been for different reasons.  Sometimes a job leads us here or there.  Sometimes we need a change of scenery.   Sometimes we need a bigger house.  This last time we were ready to downsize and move closer to Larry's work.

I grew up in 2 houses.  One house till I was 5, then we moved and I lived there till I got married when I was 18.  I didn't grow up moving around.  My husband grew up in the same house all is life.  Maybe that's why we move so much.  I really don't know.

Moving around a lot does have it's advantages.  We don't keep a lot of stuff.  We de-clutter quite frequently. I've learned not to grow too attached to my things.  It's just furniture.  It's just stuff.  

It's interesting to see my kids and how they are affected by all the moving.  Some are still nomads.  Traveling here and there.  On to the next adventure!  But I have one that wants to settle down and have roots.  He wants to buy land and stay there awhile.  I get that.  I admire that.  

I'm grateful for all the places we've lived.  We've had lots of great experiences in every state and house. We've gotten to see and experience the culture in many different places.  We've made life long friends all across America. One funny memory was when we were up in Pittsburgh and Larry was trying to order something through the McDonald's drive-thru.  He says in his thick Texas twang, "I'd like to buy some chicken mac bites."  (it's hard to describe how this sounds...just exaggerate all the "i's" to really long sounding "i's").  The girl in the drive thru says "What?"  He repeats again, even thicker and slower.  She says, "Um, sir,  I have no idea what you are talking about!"  Too funny!

I don't think I could live in one place too long (shhh...don't tell my nomadic husband!)  I look forward to the curves up in the road ahead.  Although I don't enjoy the actual physical part of boxing, moving, lifting, sorting... yuck.. I do enjoy new adventures.

What about you?  Have you moved alot?  Would you like to?


No comments: