Thursday, February 2, 2017

Tex the storyteller

My dad is a storyteller.  He likes to take his time telling stories.  When you are listening to one of his stories, you just listen.  He takes lots of pauses and thinks about each word he's going to say.  When you listen to him you don't want to interrupt or ask questions.  Just sit and listen to what he's saying. There will probably be some sort of punch line or moral at the end of the story that you weren't expecting.  So you've got to really listen.  Let him take his time and tell you.

My dad is a writer too.  He used to write all kinds of stories and poems for his online groups. Thankfully a friend of his preserved these stories into a notebook some years ago.  Now my cousin has taken up the mantle and published these stories into a book!

I am so thankful for this!  You see, my dad has Alzheimer's now.  I'm sure all those stories are rattling around in his head but he can't communicate them to us now.  All we have left of these stories are what we remember.  But now we have a book!

I was reading them this morning and I can hear my dad in telling the stories.  I hear his pauses.  I hear his laughter as he gets tickled.  I hear his joy in recalling things from his childhood.

Stories are a bridge to our past.  Stories help the next generation understand a little more of the past generations.  Stories are a legacy to be passed on.

I will greatly treasure this book of stories.

You can order it online too!  Just click here.  Proceeds go to Alzheimer's research.

What stories will you tell your children and grandchildren?  Maybe you can write some down! Who knows where it will lead!




No comments: